Monday, November 19, 2007

Response to Michael Tabor's Blog Re:Education concerns

Name of the Blog to click on to find out more: Michael K. Tabor, Education of the Aughts
1) Michael Tabor's blog first 80% deals with higher education issues and comments that range from the light hearted suggestions to incoming freshmen on entrance appl's to the seriousness of the polar differences of our approach/attitude with regards to public education in comparison with two other super powers. The other 20% of his blog relates to non-edu issues, which include a personal pic to why the NFL is playing in the U.K.? Exactly my response, Whaaaaaaaaat? and why? His approach as I stated ranges from seriousness to the light hearted but I appreciate his concern from this point of view as an educator. 2) I believe that educators of all grades and back grounds may see this blog and its issues useful, in that people that are in the actual trenches will know what is being talked about in the "real, BIG" outside world of higher education. All of the subjects Mr. Tabor discussed are to do with our students and we need to begin to deal with some of these issues as a child enters school and in attitude immediately. (Re: sexual assaults and attitudes toward education by everyone down to state and the federal government.
3) One important issue I will comment on is the attitude and approach of public education. I often wondered if any one noticed the difference in attitudes among and in comparison with other countries. My whole education career, either while I attended grade school and during my college career I wonder why we as Americans place little value on our education from the beginning stages of mind development to attitudes of importance of edu to the esteem in which we hold our educators. Why as a super power do we pay so little to the education of the minds that will continue our country after we are gone??
4) I think it is useful for people that actually care about the issues Mr. Tabor is obviously concerned about higher education and ethical behavior.( PEOPLE THEY GO HAND IN HAND, speaking to the sexual preditiors out there!) and I also note that Mr. Tabor while addressing some serious issues he does not seem to take himself to seriously.

No comments: